We all know that we can’t get any more time in the day and we sure can’t save it up to use later! No matter what your back ground, if you’re a uni student, teacher, stay at home mum, doctor, senior Executive, Director or CEO we can all be smart with our time. Are you being smart with yours? Here are some tips to find those extra minutes each day to get things done. First you need to recognize them and then start constantly using them. You will be surprised at the results! I call them ‘Windows of Opportunity’, they seem arise each and every day in your lifestyle can and often do go completely wasted if you’re not aware or prepared for them or action upon them. And if you add them all up they can often amount to several hours a week – What was that about not having enough time in the day to do everything you want to do?
Here are 7 Windows of Opportunity to get you started:
- When you’re ready for a meeting and the other person lets you know they will be 5-10mins late it’s not enough time to work on your bigger projects but you sure can quickly go to review your list for an action or two that will take this amount of time and do it
- If you catch the train to work and get really frustrated or stressed when they are delayed or how long your travel time takes everyday, forget that and view it as the perfect time to read those broachers for your holiday, magazine review of your industry news, (that you have with you because you’re prepared) or get to read more pages of your novel and relax longer before you hit home where you need to cook and do the washing!
- When you’re waiting for your kettle to boil – stack or un-stack your dishwasher or clean up your kitchen.
- If you exercise at home or at the gym, schedule your sessions at the same time as the news or your favourite TV program.
- When you’re walking to and from meetings or locations slip in a few quick calls you need to make on your mobile.
- When stuck in traffic jams listen to your CD’s and bop away, a motivational CD or get yourself a CD that relays stories and sit back, relax and enjoy.
- When you have to clean your house, crank up your favourite dance CD and not only get a clean house but master your dance steps and exercise and feel GREAT all at the same time!
The biggest thing is to be prepared for windows of opportunity that you know could pop up in your day and use these times wisely instead of either doing nothing or negatively. I see too many people become annoyed, frustrated and even downright angry when people or transport are late. Chill out, there is nothing you can do about this unless you don’t meet with them ever again or don’t go anywhere, but what you can do is utilise your time better and feel happier and productive instead of frustrated or annoyed.
When you have your tasks and actions right there and ready telling you exactly what you need to do in these windows of opportunity it’s just so easy to get things done that people will start saying where do you get all the time to do that?
For more information about executive coaching contact Jacqueline Pigdon T: +61 (0) 404 362 379 E:firstname.lastname@example.org